Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Rick Pitino: "I tell recruits all the time: 'Hey, come in here, be one and done, let's all win the Big Ten, you go to the NBA, get drafted, everybody wins.'"

From "The Scoop": 

Darren "Doogie" Wolfson: Specifically on Kris Humphries, that's a relationship that you should embrace, right, with his NBA pedigree?

Richard Pitino: Yah, I think people need to understand that for our guys, unfortunately they don't know some of the older players that have played here before. It's sad but it's reality. They only remember ten years back at the most. So when you have a guy like Kris Humphries, who reaches out to us -- again, we didn't reach out to him -- "Hey, I want to help out you guys; I want to be involved in this thing" -- that's what's special about this place, because not only do we have great alumni, but they want to help and they live here. You know, a lot of places I've worked, they don't live there, so it's not as easy. So we're really fortunate to have Kris be a part of our program. I mean he's been in the league for I think 13 years. That's really very hard to do. So he deserves a lot of credit for that, and we're really really appreciative that he's willing to help.

DW: Your only Gopher in the NBA, right? I mean that's the key: you need to develop some NBA guys.

RP: A hundred percent. I mean I think he's our last pro, so we haven't had a pro since him. So you got to develop, you got to recruit them as well, and  a lot goes into those things. But normally when you have elite talent, you normally win, you know. And so we've got to do that. I feel like there's a chance some of the guys on our roster could play for money, hopefully play in the NBA. It's everybody's dream, you know. I tell recruits all the time: "Hey, come in here, be one and done, let's all win the Big Ten, you go to the NBA, get drafted, everybody wins." So that's a dream of mine. I was fortunate at Louisville and Florida to have five guys for five years, have a bunch of guys play in the NBA, and I'd love to have that one day here as a Gopher.




No comments:

Post a Comment