Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Using the threat of involuntary commitment as a clinical trial recruitment tool

Yesterday I posted this question:

Have you been approached for enrollment in a research study while under an involuntary commitment order? When the Minnesota legislature passed Dan’s Law in 2009, it placed strict limits on the ability of psychiatrists to recruit mentally ill patients under involuntary commitment orders into drug studies. What is unclear is whether psychiatric researchers are actually complying with Dan’s Law. We would like to find out more. If you or anyone you know has been approached for enrollment in a research study while under a commitment order, I would be grateful if you could send an email to me (ellio023) at my gmail address. 

Judging from the response I have gotten the first day, using the threat of commitment to pressure patients into clinical trials may well be more common than I had feared.  If you or anyone you know has experienced this kind of pressure, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment