Friday, December 9, 2011

Who is your neurologist working for?

In the December issue of Health Affairs, Maran Wolston describes the disillusionment that came with the discovering that her neurologist was being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars from the manufacturers of MS drugs.  Today Susan Perry interviewed her for MinnPost.  An excerpt:
 
Wolston never returned to that physician. "Having MS is difficult enough," she writes. "The last thing I needed was to worry about whether my neurologist was acting in the best interest of the drug companies or in the best interest of me, his patient."

"You expect a CEO or a public relations person from a Fortune 500 company to spin things a bit," she told me. "But you don't think that about doctors — that they're spinning things or having conflicts of interest that could be impacting your care."

And the conflicts of interest did impact her care. "It put my decision-making at a standstill," she said. "I felt like I couldn't make a decision about whether to go on a treatment or not. I didn't know how much of the information I was getting was biased."

Read the article in MinnPost.

No comments:

Post a Comment